I would never have considered making the Kielo Wrap Dress until I saw it in person, at Patch Halifax, where I was able to try on the store sample. Sometimes I have a hard time visualizing beyond the models and styling for Named Patterns to how I think the garment would look on me. I shouldn’t have let that dissuade me, because the Kielo is a magical dress that looks amazing on all the different bodies I have seen in it.
I used a black bamboo cotton and made a few fit alterations based on the sample:
- I cut a chunk out of the centre back seam (2 inches wide tapering down 3 inches)
- Raised the back slit by 4″
- Cut 1.5 inches out of the length of the bodice, just above the bust-dart. I wanted to keep the neckline where it was, but raise the arm holes a bit and move the ties to my natural waist.
- I skipped both the back darts and the interfacing on the ties.
Oddly enough, I didn’t need to shorten the dress at all. I’ve seen it on people taller than I am though and it hits them at the same place. I pull up more of the skirt in the back to create a tucked-in effect, but I’ve left the back long here for the photos. It’s a quick make, but I did get held up on the knit bias binding for the neck and arms. I wish there was a pattern piece for them, since there are optional instructions for them with the pattern.
This dress feels like the sexiest Secret Pyjamas. I could easily wear this to a formal event, but also with a jean jacket and some flip-flops all weekend. If you see me in this dress, I will salute you with my flying-squirrel wings. I hope you will also be wearing a Kielo and can salute me right back!
Project: Keilo Wrap Dress
Total Cost: $62
Total Hours: 8
Fit Adjustments: I made a US size 4, but with several adjustments: I took a 2 inch wedge out of the CB seam at the neck, raised the back slit by 4 inches, and took 1.5″ of length out of the top bodice. I also skipped the back darts and interfacing on the ties.
See also: I didn’t think I was going to love my Saunio Cardigan from Named either, but it’s become one of my favourite pieces!
The February item for Project Sew My Style was the Saunio Cardigan from Named Patterns. I’ve thought about making this pattern several times, but it always got passed over for something more exciting. I think this is mainly due to the styling of the sample: I found it hard to visualize past their cabled version.
For my sweater, I decided to use this tweedy knit I had stashed away from Stylemaker Fabrics. I had originally intended it for a Driftless Cardigan, using the right side of the fabric, but, after playing around with both sides I decided I liked the wrong side more! I did want to see a bit of the original though, so I ended up using some of it for the facings. And of course, the more I played with the fabric, the more it unravelled, which I also liked. I sewed the pieces right-to-wrong sides, and left the seams exposed for added texture. I added a line of stitching along the bodice and the sleeves as a hem.
I have enough fabric left to make a belt if I decide I want one, but for now, I really like the boxy shape and the dropped shoulders. I started wearing the jacket before I was even completely finished making it and have gotten compliments each time. It’s filled a hole in my wardrobe quite nicely.
Project: Tweedy Saunio Cardigan
Total Cost $47.43
Fabric: $32.73 (CAD)
Time: 4 hours
Fit Adjustments: None. Straight size S (EU size 32-36)
One of my goals for this project was to create pieces that I could easily wear in a professional work setting. It can be a challenge to find ready-to-wear items that are a). age-appropriate and b). not boring. When I do find things I like I often have to alter them to fit properly anyway. I seem to be right in-between regular and petite sizing (I’m 5’2) and I have a curvy shape.
I stumbled across this great printed stretch-twill while looking for fabric to cover some chairs. It was mysteriously labeled “assorted denim” and I’m quite happy to report that it works easily for clothing. I used the Ginger Jeans pattern as a base, but eliminated many of the classic jean styling elements – including back pockets! I knew I would have matched the pattern of the pockets with the pant legs and they would have hopefully visually disappeared, so there didn’t seem to be much point in having them. I also have the Sewaholic Thurlow Trousers on my cutting table right now, but I prefer the higher waist of the Gingers – it’s very helpful when I am out on my bike. I am a frequent cyclist and having professional clothing I can bike in is a real plus.
The top is one that I can see myself creating many versions of, the Named Sointu Kimono Tee. I downloaded the PDF and had the top on in one afternoon! The only change I made was to shorten the length a bit. It’s basic but extremely useful and comfortable. And I can’t make everything in a dazzling print. The fabric is a fine sweater-knit I found at my local chain-store. I’ll be keeping an eye out for some heavier weight knits online – you only need a bit of fabric (I made it work with a 1/2 meter by adding in a seam at the center back and pieced the bias facing together) so I could really splurge if I wanted!
Lastly, thank you to my amazing photographers, the talented duo behind North by North Photography. Alexa and Luke immediately understood what I was looking for and made me laugh so much during our shoot.
Printed Ginger Jeans
Total Cost: 60.48
Pattern: $24 (CAD)
Fit: I went with a size 8 since I didn’t really know anything about the fabric content and that worked out quite well. There is a bit of bunching behind the knee, so I might try a full-calf-adjustment in the future.
Techniques: Pattern-matching where possible.
Named Sointu Kimono Tee
Total Cost: $27
Pattern: $10 (CAD)
Fit: No alterations needed.
What to work on: Making more work clothes! I’ve already worn both items many times.