Summer Uniform, 2017 Edition: Named Kielo Wrap Dress

June 12, 2017
Kielo Wrap Dress 1

Kielo Wrap Dress Kielo Wrap Dress from Named Patterns Kielo Wrap Dress from Named PatternsKielo Wrap Dress from Named PatternsKielo Wrap Dress from Named PatternsI would never have considered making the Kielo Wrap Dress until I saw it in person, at Patch Halifax, where I was able to try on the store sample. Sometimes I have a hard time visualizing beyond the models and styling for Named Patterns to how I think the garment would look on me. I shouldn’t have let that dissuade me, because the Kielo is a magical dress that looks amazing on all the different bodies I have seen in it.

I used a black bamboo cotton and made a few fit alterations based on the sample:

• I cut a chunk out of the centre back seam (2 inches wide tapering down 3 inches)
  • Raised the back slit by 4″
  • Cut 1.5 inches out of the length of the bodice, just above the bust-dart. I wanted to keep the neckline where it was, but raise the arm holes a bit and move the ties to my natural waist.
  • I skipped both the back darts and the interfacing on the ties.

Oddly enough, I didn’t need to shorten the dress at all. I’ve seen it on people taller than I am though and it hits them at the same place. I pull up more of the skirt in the back to create a tucked-in effect, but I’ve left the back long here for the photos. It’s a quick make, but I did get held up on the knit bias binding for the neck and arms. I wish there was a pattern piece for them, since there are optional instructions for them with the pattern.

This dress feels like the sexiest Secret Pyjamas. I could easily wear this to a formal event, but also with a jean jacket and some flip-flops all weekend. If you see me in this dress, I will salute you with my flying-squirrel wings. I hope you will also be wearing a Kielo and can salute me right back!

Project: Keilo Wrap Dress

Total Cost: $62

Pattern:$20

Fabric: $40.00

Notions: $2

Total Hours: 8

Fit Adjustments: I made a US size 4, but with several adjustments: I took a 2 inch wedge out of the CB seam at the neck, raised the back slit by 4 inches, and took 1.5″ of length out of the top bodice. I also skipped the back darts and interfacing on the ties.

See also: I didn’t think I was going to love my Saunio Cardigan from Named either, but it’s become one of my favourite pieces!

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Hils June 12, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I’ve had similar reservations about this pattern , but your version has me wondering if i should rethink that… the fit looks great, really flattering! Yay for sexy secret pajamas!

• Reply Erica June 12, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I highly recommend it. I skipped it originally because their pattern model was so thin, I assumed it wouldn’t work for me. Everyone I saw try it on immediately made it!

• Reply Maddie @MaddieMadeThis June 12, 2017 at 12:41 pm

What a gorgeous dress! It looks so good and fits you perfectly! I’m definitely like you — sometimes it’s hard for me to envision what a finished garment will look like on me. I need a local sewing buddy whose taste is a little different than mine so I can try on their finished clothes and see if I want to make the same things!

• Reply Erica June 12, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Yes! I find it challenging with Named in particular. You need some kind of

• Reply Erica June 12, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Yes! I think could all use some kind of dressing room/try-on meet up. Between PDF patterns and buying fabric online (I never get swatches anymore. I was charged duties on them!) it’s so nice to get a physical idea of what a project is like.

• Reply Lia June 18, 2017 at 11:16 pm

This is gorgeous!! I keep avoiding this pattern because I love the look of the finished product but worry about futzing with the ties all day – moving them up seems like a great fix! Also, you’ve done a really good job capturing details despite the dark fabric. Beautiful make and photos.

• Reply Erica June 21, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Thank you so much! It was really tricky to highlight the shape of the dress! The dress is so comfortable that I forget about the ties! Send me a link if you make it, I’d love to see!

• Reply Meredith June 20, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Gorgeous! Can I ask how tall you are?

• Reply Erica June 21, 2017 at 6:35 pm