Striped Archer Button-Up

April 2, 2017
Grainline Archer

Grainline ArcherGrainline ArcherGrainline ArcherGrainline ArcherGrainline Archer Grainline Archer I was supposed to be taking a break from button-up shirts and working on rounding out my handmade wardrobe. However, when I saw this fabric wedged waaaay in the back of the sale bin at my local chain fabric store (during an ill-fated attempt to find more bra fabric), I knew another one was in order. And then, I figured so long as I was going to be making one Archer Button-Up (from Grainline Studio), I might as well make two at the same time and use up some lovely fabric in my stash (post on the other one coming up next).

I wanted a really classic shirt, so I skipped the great butt-ruffle this time. I thought about doing a narrow-shoulder adjustment, but I wanted it to look slightly oversized and not as tailored, so I made a straight size 6. As this make required an extreme amount of pattern-matching, I decided to save myself at least one step and simply serge the edges of the fabric before sewing–although, it felt like cheating after all the French and flat-felled seams I’ve been doing.

I cut out the pattern pieces very, very carefully. Luckily, the stripe is 1/4 inch in width and there are 1/2 inch seam allowances, so that simplified things. I was able to plan ahead and ensure that there is no break in the pattern across the front of the shirt. I used the stripe, however, in a contrasting direction for the collar, that big ol’ pocket, the cuffs, and sleeve plackets.

This is probably one of my favourite makes of this project. Classic, made with care, and you would never know that it’s homemade! My other Archer has been getting a ton of wear, so I’m happy to have this one to add to the mix. Mother Nature was not keen on letting me get photos of this shirt. I try not to wear a garment before I take the pictures, but it was taking so long that eventually I gave up. When I put it on, I realized that I’d forgotten to put in the buttonholes on the sleeves! I’ll be adding them in, but I wear them rolled up so much I think some sleeve-tabs are also in order.

 

Project: Striped Archer Button-Up

Total Cost: $46

Fabric:$20

Total hours: 10 hours

Pattern: $22 (Since I already own this pattern, I will remove the cost of it from the total cost of my wardrobe at the update)

Notions:$4

Fit: No alternations. Straight size 6

Techniques: Buttonholes, so much pattern matching, and the alternate collar order

 

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

  • Reply Meg April 2, 2017 at 3:15 pm

    I love this! Classic and classy!

    • Reply Erica April 2, 2017 at 10:28 pm

      Thank you Meg! I could totally see you in this look!

  • Reply Kelly April 2, 2017 at 6:25 pm

    Fantastic! I being loving vertical blue and white striped shirts lately, this one is no exception!

    • Reply Erica April 2, 2017 at 10:29 pm

      Thank you so much! I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

  • Reply Maddie @MaddieMadeThis April 3, 2017 at 3:48 am

    This is gorgeous! This stripey loose shirt idea is a look I see coming up for me a LOT on Pinterest recently. I need to get on making one (or a million) for myself – if only I didn’t hate pattern matching so much…

    • Reply Erica April 3, 2017 at 12:22 pm

      Haha! Thank you. It was a serious undertaking! It was especially tricky because the Archer has a front placket on one side and the other is folded under twice, so I had to cut that piece out so that the blue stripe would be at the very front edge once it was turned in by 2 inches.

  • Reply Lynsey April 3, 2017 at 5:56 pm

    Such a gorgeous shirt, love the stripes and it’s so neat and professional, looks amazing on.

    • Reply Erica April 3, 2017 at 7:04 pm

      Thank you, Lynsey!

  • Reply Gingham Archer – The Handmade Wardrobe April 16, 2017 at 11:33 pm

    […] only have enough fabric left for…more pockets. I made this shirt at the same time as my Striped Archer, but made a few planning mistakes on this version that the striped one benefited […]

  • Leave a Reply