Oh man, these pants. What a difference from my first pair of Ginger Jeans! I decided to be bold and go down from a size 10 to a size 6 for the Ginger Flares from Closet Case Files. I hardly had to make any alterations to this size. I had measured myself for the last pair, but sometimes I have a hard time believing what the tape says and am convinced that I am either smaller or, most likely, bigger than that. My size also fluctuates easily, so I often feel like I don’t really know where to begin with a pattern.
Making jeans is so fun and easy and satisfying. While custom-fitting can take a bit of time, the actual construction process of jeans is very relaxing. I used the remaining yardage from my Cone Mills Kit, which is slightly lighter in weight and darker in colour than my other fabric. I used a notions kit from Thread Theory for the buttons, rivets, and zipper.
I have seen people with sewing blogs comment that making jeans was addictive, but I didn’t really believe them. Now, I understand. It’s all I want to make! This is great news, since when I started this project, I only had one pair of jeans and while they fit, I didn’t love them and only kept them out of desperation. I’m looking forward to getting rid of that pair and building up my collection.
Project: Ginger Flares
Total Cost: $98.00
Pattern: $18 USD + 7.50 for the flare expansion pack.
Fabric: $65.00. It was the other half was my Cone Mills denim kit from Closet Case Files.
Time: 10 leisurely hours. This includes time for assembling and cutting the PDF expansion for the legs.
Fit: GREAT. I took 1 inch from the back waistline and 1.5 inches off the length, but I might increase that next time.
What to work on: Rivets. I have yet to find that magical balance between too long and too short. I’m either smashing through them or they come off.