When I was making these pants, my partner said to me “Oh, are you making pyjamas?” To which I tersely replied, “These are not pyjama pants. They are pants in the style of pyjamas.” I mean, obviously, wink-wink!
I have an old pair of pyjama/harem style pants from H & M that I think I bought while traveling in Copenhagen several years ago. They were having a heat wave while we were there and I didn’t pack expecting that. I have worn them endlessly since then and have always wanted to make another pair.
I love my new Made by Rae Luna Pants. I have been wearing them nonstop and always get compliments on them when I am out. Who doesn’t love not-so-secret-pyjamas? When deciding on my size, I opted to cut out a medium, since the model appears to be leaner of leg than I am and I was making them out of rayon. The pattern was a good 4 inches longer than my pants, but after a few washes, they have shrunk right up to match.
They came together quickly, but I had some trouble with my elastic twisting. I think the size of the channel for it is a little small for the width of elastic I used. (I opted to use whatever was in my stash). There are a few changes I would like to make so that my next pair mirrors my original ones even more: a wider waistband (and a slightly higher rise) and a wider ankle band, shirred instead of using elastic.
Total Cost: $37.48
PDF Pattern: $15.50 CAD
Palm print rayon: $18.99
Time: 3.5 hours (includes time for PDF cutting and assembly).
Fit changes: None! But I’m very glad I thought to go up a size.
What to work on: Twisty elastic and following directions!